Fav Authors and Books

  • Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Katherine Boo
  • Vikram Seth

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Learning to Write Again



It's been nearly a decade since I've been an active blogger. I "re-discovered" my online trove of writings yesterday, and was amazed at the openness with which I approached the world in my early 20s. Now, in my early 30s, I look back at that young woman blogger with envy. I am amazed that I was able to find so many things that fascinated me, that kept me up at night, writing fervently to capture emotions, characters, situations. Now, I'm not sure what to write about anymore.


Around the time of my last blog post, I headed to grad school to study international affairs and business. I hopped around cities in the US, gained 1.5 degrees and a mountain-load of debt. After graduating in 2010, I spent the next five years working in finance in NYC. I met my husband, we had a fairy-tale wedding in India, and now we have a 1 year old baby and call the Upper West Side home.

So there it is...the next chapter of my life, encapsulated in 4 lines. A world of stability and comfort, very different from my itinerant days. So ordinary, that I'm not sure I'm worthy of a voice anymore. Just so ordinary.

Or is it?

No comments: