Fav Authors and Books

  • Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Katherine Boo
  • Vikram Seth

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Power of Being

One of the first things I wanted to do when I moved back was go to Mrs. Singh’s place. I remembered the peace of those very early mornings during high school, when my sister and I would dutifully make our way over to her house for yoga classes. I was awestruck my first day there: here was a woman in her late 50s, who had the body and physical power of a very fit 20 year old. She would lift men and women who were 4 times her size, fold her body in ways that didn’t seem humanly possible and had not a grey hair to her head.

Quite a few years later, I was back last week. Over the last few years, I’d been starting to feel parts of my body wearing down unaccountably, and felt that an attempt at internal rejuvenation was in order. A knee pain here, arm-pain because of computer use,etc. I asked her if I could join up again, and she told me that I would have to come at 5am; she just had no more space. Before I left, she asked, “Any problems?” I looked at her and shook my head; I was embarassed to admit that at 23, I probably had more ‘problems’ than her. In the less 10 days that I’ve been going, I’ve felt some astounding changes. My knee pain is much reduced, the severe allergies to the pollution/dust that I’ve had has decreased tremendously, and I feel a lot more flexible and energetic. Who knows, it might all be psychological, or have to do with other positive lifestyle changes, but I’m hooked.

Though in her early sixties, Mrs. Singh still has no grey hair. Her hair is lustrous, thick, and black. No dyes, no coloring, nothing. (She took one look at my hair and shook her head sadly. “Girls these days, what they do to their hair! All these pantene-vantene chemical shampoos and all.”) She’s wonderfully fit, nimble and radiates energy. She revealed yesterday morning that she actually got into a minor accident and fractured her arm last week, but she refused to treat it or stop doing/teaching yoga, and it has completely healed itself since. Wow.

The philosophy of yog (which means “to unite”, as in uniting of our mind and body) is an interesting thing. The science behind the yogasanas (different postures) involves channeling blood flow to particular areas. My mom, currently in the process of finishing a year long naturopathy/yoga course, explains it thus: “Our organs are like a sponge. When we do an asana (pose), we are ‘wringing’ it. When we release the pose, the blood pours in.” There’s breathing and stretching of various key muscles involved as well, and a host of other things that go into the the true practice of yoga. So it’s not only about the asanas; diet change is a huge part of the therepeutic process. My mom’s professors have stories that are nearly unbelievable. One cured himself, through yoga and naturopathy, of brain cancer. Another’s guru, eyes closed and in lotus-pose, was able to move himself in an arc, 10 feet ahead. The number of people who’ve come to her naturopathy center and have been cured of diseases that medical science would consider impossible to cure, are countless. Mrs. Singh herself began to seriously practice yoga after being diagnosed with an incurable blood disease 32 years ago.

I’ve always enjoyed outdoor sports, and have never really thought twice about their benefits. I’m beginning to rethink that; running, as I’d found, is great for certain parts of the body, but not so great for others. My mom’s center recommends that people combine yoga with brisk walking for exercise. When I first heard that a few months ago, I admittedly thought it was hogwash, and refused to give up running. How can yoga be better for the heart than running?

Now, having taken up yoga with a more open mind-frame, I realize that I’m an impatient person in an impatient world. Sitting in a posture that makes you twist parts of your body you didn’t know existed, for more than two seconds, is not an easy task. I find myself getting impatient after a few seconds, and have to try hard to still myself into keeping the pose for at least 2 minutes. Yoga is hard because there’s no constant stimuli, there are no distractions. It’s just you and your breath. It takes physical and mental stamina, inner strength, and the willingness to be with your body.

There’s a lot of things that science can’t explain about yoga. However, I’m beginning to believe more and more in the unseen power of the universe, and the extraordinary powers of our minds. Physical fitness aside, I think yoga has a far more powerful lesson to teach: the power of being still, the power of just being.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Smita.

Made me think of the many ways 'Yog' can be interpreted and applied.

For example, with deepening practice, the Union which Yog refers to takes on subtler meanings.

As we plumb the depths of awareness, union of body & mind becomes union of mind/body with our Soul, and then Union of the Soul with what can best be described as the Cosmic Spirit.
Though not as tangible, nonetheless these are definitely experientially verifiable.

One analogy which comes to mind is the wave melting back in the ocean.

Like a multi-faceted Jewel, Yoga offers a briliant perspective whichever way it is viewed.

Another angle from which Yog can be viewed is by taking a look at the patterning of our nervous system, which upon close inspection can be observed to be 'split' into two.

One side of our body acts from a more intuitive/emotional perception, the other more analytical/rational. We can even see it in our eyes, one eye is more penetrative (usually the right one) and the other softer and more emotionally expressive.

The practice of Yog offers keys to unlock our habituated 'dual' perception and thread our life force (nerve currents) back to the place where this split first occured, offering us in its stead a vision of 'unity.'

I'm actually finding it difficult to write about all this, I've spent over an hour now just typing out these few paragraphs. There is so much inspiration and depth in Yog .. I think you've inspired me Smita to sit with this over a period of time and figure out a way to express these concepts with a bit more clarity.

Meanwhile, I offer up a most *awesome* delectable dish of Joy, Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda, the book that lit me afire as to the true meaning of Yog.

:-)

smita said...

Interesting thoughts. Haven't ever heard of the 'dual nature' of our body concept before, guess I'll have to check out the book for more.
And you've left me guessing, but this has to be a yaniv comment!

Anonymous said...

Hiya Smita

Even with all these thoughts, it's clear there is so much more exploring and discovering as you stretch muscles you didn't know existed. It seems ironic that the Unity of body and mind should be such a novel goal, for you or for anyone else. That sort of union is the source of constant striving, a gravity always pulling us if we will let it, and realise that so many of the troubles and suffering we live with are the result of ignoring those spiritual and physical needs.

I think one of the hardest balances to understand is the relationship between two different but important factors, such as physical/spiritual or emotional/rational. Too often we fall into the trap of using one sort of understanding for instrumental purposes. So running we know is good for mental health, but sometimes we do it in order to be stronger or feel better about the body. Incorrect practice of yoga can be the same, the desire to challenge a body in order to look better or be stronger. This cause and effect instrumentality encourages us to value the benefits of spiritual or physical exercise, instead of doing it because it's the right thing to do. Without this linear relationship we can't force our body in directions it isn't designed for.