Fav Authors and Books

  • Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Katherine Boo
  • Vikram Seth

Monday, February 21, 2005

A Journey to Remember

The latest wave to hit Chennai’s shores was the Chennai Marathon ’05 on Sunday, February 20th. Kiruba, Jacob and I were absolutely pumped up before the d-day, meticulously keeping track of what to eat, the route, etc. In spite of all these attempts to keep myself primed before the actual race, my knee decided to pull an arthritic cramp on me the week before, and in Mumbai I was attacked by the worst cold I’ve had in a year. So, did I run? Did I arrive in glory..or on a stretcher?

***********
5:30 am Sunday morning. I was still sniffling, had a slight cough, but I felt significantly better than the day before. I knew I didn’t have to run, but it meant something to me, and I had to do it. So I stuffed some cotton in my ears, packed plenty of tissues in my pocket and scoped out an auto to take me to the beachside Anna Square, where the race would begin. I arrived at the location well in time before the start of the marathon, but was astounded at the enormity of the crowd that had already collected until that point. I hadn’t gotten my number till then, so by the time I actually waded through the crowd, found the table and pinned the number, the announcers were asking runners to take their positions for the marathon.

“Men, the Main Marathon is about to begin. We repeat, the Full Marathon, the Main Event, is about to begin. Take your positions!”

Soon after, it was time for the half-marathon, i.e. the Ladies Marathon, to begin. It is believed that women cannot run a full marathon (or are unwilling to) so we are conveniently denied the choice. I heard the announcers announce, “Ladies and boys, take your positions, the Ladies Marathon is about to begin!” As soon as this was announced, the crowd surged forward in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the women. While at first I was annoyed that they kept calling the full marathon the “main event”, I actually felt sorry for the men after I realized that men who actually wanted to only run the half-marathon, couldn’t do so without some serious damage to their self-esteem.

The whistle was blown, and we were off. Some of the men whistled, and I could hear the strains of some lewd filmsong floating in the salt breeze.

Filmsong or not, the key was to keep going. The first few km are always the hardest for me; after 8km or so I can keep going at a steady pace. At the 6 or 7k point, I stopped to blow my nose. Soon after, I felt someone patting me on the shoulder saying, “Go on, you can do it!” It was Michelle, a wonderful Maltese pilot/newmom whom I just met at the starting line. I couldn’t help but think how nice it was of her to pause her own running to cheer me on. I kept going.

The 10k point was nearing, and I could see a water stop in the distance. Two young boys, both perhaps around 9, were handing out water in cups to runners. “Some water?”they earnestly enquired. When I stopped to fill my own bottle from the water can, they rushed over and tried to foist a cup on me. “Don’t stop, just take this water!” they urged. I looked at them, thought of something to say that would express how thoughtful I thought it was for them to be doing this, especially at their age. I couldn’t think of anything, so I smiled, and went on my way.

The turnaround point came, and the bluish-white waves of the Besant Nagar beach became visible. A group of slum-children, clearly taken aback by the strange spectacle, had seated themselves comfortably on the sandy pavement near the road. They gawked at the runners, pointed, smiled, waved and cheered us on.

15km down, and I knew I could make it. 12-time marathon runner Jacob, who’d been counting the number of girls before me, paused momentarily when he saw me to cheer me on, “Come on, Smita, you can do it, you’re in the *th place now!”
The sun was beating relentlessly now, I was feeling a bit stuffy and I was on a busy road stretch before the finish line. Standing in front of the thatchments of roadside fruit-sellers were some appointed water bearers who were handing out sponges and water. One man caught my eye, and I turned to take a better look. Sure enough, an old fruit seller, in his tattered veshti and muddy shirt, was handing bottles to runners. This man is offering me water, I thought, who probably has no drinking water for himself…

I did finally make it. But when I approached the finish line I realized that my finishing was just incidental to the experience. The beauty, it struck me, was not in the arrival, but in the journey. Lao Tzu sure got it right when he said, “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.”

10 comments:

sathish said...

Looks like you did it amidst all discomfort. Jacob said you might not make it.
I ran the full and completed it!! Check out my blog @ http://krisathish.blogspot.com

Kiruba Shankar said...

Hey Smita, made for an interesting read. I missed running with a big gang. For most of the run (&walk), I was alone.

Ah! that reminds me. I need to jot down my experience before it evaporates from my mind!

tris said...

So glad to know that such events are happening in Madras.
"Ladies" also run, so cool man!
Thanks for writing about it.Made very interesting reading.

sathish said...

yep, am running the B'lore Marathon. just thinking why gals dont run full marathon or rather why organisers dont allow full for gals while in US & Canada gals do run full!!??

tris said...

can you turn on - your mail this blog opton so I can send it to a friend who ran the Lahore marathon, Kalapana Sharma who was lamenting the fate of Sania's sisters? (this week's Hindu Sunday nagazine)

ammani said...

Nice read and congratulations on finishing the half marathon. It's a pity that women weren't offered the full marathon option. Did they think we're not tough enough? Anyway, I ran the London Marathon last year and I've documented my experience at http://jikku.blogspot.com/2005/02/longest-run.html
Good luck and keep running!

Anonymous said...

I was annoyed that they kept calling the full marathon the “main event”, lol!
Nice read. Came here from Tilo's blog.... you have a nice blog.. keep up the good work.... :)

smita said...

thanks for all the encouragement and good luck to all runners out there, especially the sistas ;) haven't run a full marathon as yet but hopefully, soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Smita, I just cant believe that so many ppl read ur blog. And also.. how can one run so many miles.. oops I paid for 'run for a cause' but then u know it was sunday.. i slept :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Smita,

Someone sent me the link to your blog. Great reading. You have the potential to be a really good journalist!

Kalpana Sharma (a journalist!)